Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Identity.

It's something that we can't escape from, can we.
.
When you're born you are given a name.
Your skin tells others of your origin, your race.
The places you go tells others of your culture.
And people that goes to the same sort of places doing similar things could call themselves a clan.
With that, you become a part of a clan.
.
The language you speak tells others of your dialect.
What subclass of your race are you.
Heck, language can even tell others of your nationality.
.
I've heard people, 'powerful' people, talking about unity.
A 1Malaysia.
One identity.
instead of identifying us as bumiputera or not,
If not bumiputera, then are we Chinese, Indian or lain-lain.
Many interpret 1malaysia as an effort to abolish the way our bureaucracy works,
To be able to fill up a form without needing to fill up the "bangsa" category.
That would be nice.
But I'd rather they don't change the system.
It's fine the way it is.
As long as the people handling the paperwork is efficient.
.
I'm over being pissed about how opportunities are being thrown away to those who aren't good enough to be treated with so much luxuries.
I'm done being offended by other people telling my people to leave the country.
I'm tired trying to fight for something that cannot be changed.
So instead of making it worse,
Look at things on the bright-side.
It made my life a little easier to bear.
Hell, at least my education is still free.
And I don't have to tutup my Buddhist aurat and wrap my head and make it my little brain-oven in a 35oC environment,
You know, just in case a magic sand-storm hits my little island I called home.
.
Nevertheless,
I am sick of politics,
Of classes and cliques.
I am sick of hearing people claiming they will do it right by righting the wrongs in our country.
Because they can never actually right the wrongs,
They could only help hide the flaws.
.
Come on.
Tepuk dada tanya selera.(if I used this idiom correctly)
All those with eyes and even the slightest knowledge of the way our country works knows,
Exactly how messed up our systems are.
How dreams are partially realized,
Partially done with partial enthusiasm and partial understanding,
Before the hype died down and we all move on to the next big thing,
And forget about this current not-so-new-toy-anymore.
But when problem arises,
Everybody blame everybody else for it,
And when there's nobody else to blame,
Even animals and trees could be dragged out and be the kambing korban all of the sudden.
.
I grew up knowing that I live in a not-so people-friendly country that is governed by a bunch of uncles that have mindsets of prehistoric homosapiens and attention spans of a 3year-old,
Who pretends to be visionaries yet lack courage, patience and humility to do things right,
Who only make empty promises to fulfill innocent uncles and aunties' dreams for their children.
All that for some undeserved votes.
What would this do to our country?
.
I don't know if I'll be caught and thrown into the ISA for not being a good, gullible and obedient citizen,
But until I see an actual politician that is actually serious about cleaning up our country's diarrhea-shit,
I ain't gonna register as a voter.
My vote is small,
I don't deny that,
But I rather vote for someone who deserves it.
I want my vote to mean something more than just a rebellion.

No comments:

Post a Comment